Recipe: Italian Caprese Avocado Toast
Serving Size: 1 slice
- 1 medium avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain or whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a small bowl, using a fork, mash the avocado. Gently stir in the basil and pepper.
- Spread the avocado mixture on each slice of toast.
- Top with the tomatoes cut side down.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
To melt the mozzarella, place the bread slices with the avocado mixture, tomatoes, and cheese on top under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mozzarella has melted and browned.
If the avocado is ripe but still a bit firm, process the flesh with the basil leaves in a food processor or blender.
Recipe and image courtesy of American Heart Association
Sign Up for Health Tips
Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.